The DMV Music Alliance Fund for Music Innovation has been established to help local musicians and industry professionals explore new projects or initiatives that would benefit our regional music scene and its music fans. The DMVMA is particularly interested in:
- unique collaborations,
- music that bridges gaps and crosses boundaries,
- innovative presentation strategies, and
- initiatives that would provide industry resources and/or services that would help develop our region’s musicians and music industry.
The DMV Music Alliance will announce additional grant opportunities as new funding becomes available; however, applications are accepted year-round.
I. GRANT GUIDELINES
Grant approval is based on need and details included in the application. Applicants should submit links to supporting documents at the time of submission.
Grants will be administered to help pay for project-related expenses, which may include:
- Recording sessions and production costs
- Music-related equipment (instruments, sound gear, lighting)
- Domestic touring expenses
- Marketing costs and video sessions
- Business development costs
Funds may not be used to pay for the following types of expenses:
- Rent, mortgage, or other housing expenses
- Utilities (gas, electric, water, phone, Internet, cable)
- Health-related expenses (insurance premiums, deductibles, or copayments) or
- Financial debt
The DMVMA is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility, and fostering mutual respect for the diverse beliefs and values of all individuals and groups. Projects may focus on reaching a particular group; however, they may not be exclusionary under civil rights laws and policies prohibiting discrimination.
II. ASSISTANCE LIMITATIONS
III. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
In order to be eligible for assistance, applicants must:
- Reside in one of the cities or counties in the Greater Washington, DC area
- Derive at least 50% of gross income from music-related work
- Be able to demonstrate at least one of the following:
- At least 5 years of employment in a music-related profession, whether as a musician or music industry professional
- At least 3 commercially released recordings
- At least 3 commercially or promotionally released music videos
IV. APPLICATION PROCESS AND CHECKLIST
Please complete the following steps to apply for grant support from The Fund:
- Review the requirements for eligibility;
- Gather the links for your supporting documentation;
- Complete the online application that follows this overview; and
- Submit the completed and electrically signed application.
Please include links to the following items with the completed application:
- A copy of your ID
- A resume/bio, electronic press kit (EPK), or discography
- Music industry background documentation
- Estimates for which assistance is being requested
Your responses do not need to be long but do make sure you are providing a clear picture of your proposed or ongoing project. Not all questions require responses but are there to help you provide a clearer picture. You may save a draft of your application upon registering as a user on our site.
No one outside of the Alliance’s staff and selection committee will have access to any of the information you provide in your application. Winning applicants will be asked for a summary, graphics, and links to help promote your project.
Once the application is received by the DMV Music Alliance, our staff will contact the applicant to gather additional information if necessary. The application will then be forwarded to the Fund Committee for review and selection. The Fund Committee will evaluate each application on its completeness, uniqueness, and expected impact on the DMV music scene. One project will then be selected from all applications received by an announced date.
The applicant will then be contacted and asked to be available to attend the next benefit show to announce the granted gift and allow the applicant to promote their project. Two comp tickets to the show will be provided.
The Alliance will continue to raise money for the Fund and will announce future selection timelines as soon as possible. Be sure to sign up for our mailing list and follow us on social media to be notified of future selection timelines.